Up until now, we have been pretty elusive about our back bedroom. This room is located on the ground floor in the southwest corner of our house. It made a brief appearance in one of our first posts as the hoarder room aka. Room of Requirement. Since then, we have had a roommate in the space. Since this was her personal space I didn't want to make it internet fodder so we have left the space out. She was a great help and started it off with a new coat of paint and took down the peeling wallpaper that covered the wood paneling. It made a huge improvement taking down the wallpaper and exposing the vintage 1970's 'wood' paneling. Our roommate lived with us for a little over a year and when she moved out we were struck by the new addition of a room into our lives.
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Thursday, May 24, 2012
I am sure you have a few questions already... what happened to August 2011? Why aren't you talking about the mud room... etc. ? We took August off from house work, we worked on the garden, went to some concerts, volunteered, celebrated my birthday and planned some September trips. We did manage to take a few hours out of the one of the weekends to install our 'new' outdoor porch light. I am putting 'new' in quotes because my parents bought this light for us as a house warming gift. That's right... when we moved in, in May 2010. It sat in our basement for over a year looking pretty and doing not much else.
Friday, May 18, 2012
One of things that can often be the most frustrating part of remodeling is how once you complete one project there is another one right there. When your whole room looks horrible you can overlook at lot of issues, once you fix one thing in the room the other things look even worse! Insert the mudroom. To start, this is not a mud room. This is the staircase landing to the basement that also opens to our backyard. I wish it was about 3x bigger because it seems like everything ends up here!
This was another job we thought about doing ourselves however there was a LOT of angles in the room and the sheets would need to be cut perfectly. Perfect isn't quite Josh and I's style... decent is more our speed. Gordon spent the day installing the sheets and by the end was calling the room the Oregon vortex. There was not one level surface in the entire space. The floor slopes down, the stairs go up and down, the room also seems to slant toward the left. The moral of the story is... it is a lot harder then it looks, especially when the vertical lines of the bead board will happily tell you how unsquare things are.
In the end, I couldn't have been happier. I desperately wanted to get into the space and start painting but we still have to sand the floors, skim coat the ceiling and sand everything. But the good news was that the lead paint was gone and so were the crumbling walls!
Monday, May 14, 2012
At the same time, we also tackled some smaller projects out in the front yard. When we first moved in there was a large gravel pit next to our driveway. I am not sure what the thinking was (I believe it was for garbage cans). Whatever the thought, it was horrible, the pit was so deep you couldn't roll anything and all of our neighborhood cats had decided this worked as a great litter box. Gross. Back when we did the trash bin area (see earlier post) we dug all the gravel out and reused it back there. Then for several months this became a hole we ignored.
Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Monday, May 7, 2012
The following day they came back to start to paint the main trim color the yellow we had selected. Holy yellow! The problem is something that looks very pale on the small mock up, looked extremely bright and glaring once it goes up. I came home from work and gulped. I actually kinda regret that we never took a picture because our house looked like a sports jersey (in a somewhat cool way). As soon as Josh came home I told him we had to go get another color! We went out to Sherwin Williams at 6:00pm and went to the white section and then picked the yellowest white we could find. The color was called Tea Light and was about 4 shades lighter then the original color. The next day our painters got two new gallons and started covering up our little issue. This color was perfect, it looked like buttercream. It still read yellow but definitely not in a primary kid school kind of way. We did keep the porch ceiling the darker yellow as a testament and also because it looked great up there without sunlight.